I tend to like the finer things in life. A good oven pancake, Swedish pb&j (made with lefsa), homemade wild rice hot dish (I’ve included mama’s recipe below), among others. When it comes beer, a good ‘ole Bush light often hits the spot. I haven’t gotten too much into the latest craft beer craze, but I’ve been known to test a few out. Who can say “no” to beer?
This weekend just so happens to be the resort’s annual beer lover’s dinner. Where, get this. You can sample a number of Castle Danger’s craft brews. As an attendee in the past, I can assure you – these are healthy-sized samples. The new Executive Chef, Ian Heieie, has a menu even mama would approve of.
I’ve heard there are a few more seats available and with the colossal snow storm we’re forecasted to get slammed with, what better way to spend the time then sipping a good brew and watching the snow fall. See you all there.
Until next time, raise a glass to old man winter – he’s not done yet.
As promised, mama’s wild rice hot dish recipe is below.
- 1 ¼ cup wild rice (soak the rice overnight)
- Boil about 2 cups of water and then place then put the rice in it and soak overnight
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- ½ of an onion, diced
- Sauté the celery and onion in butter, 1 cup of mushrooms optional but recommended
- Brown 1 pound of hamburger (drain off grease)
- Mix 1 package of thawed little smokies into the hamburger
- Mix all of the ingredients together with 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
- Add a little water, ½ cup – 1 cup for consistency
- Put everything in a roasting dish or a 2 quart baking dish, sprinkle with French onion topping for an added crunch
- Bake in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes
If you’re interested in attending the Annual Beer Lover’s Dinner this Friday, February 24, call 218.663.7212 to RSVP.