Notes from the 3rd Floor
– Lutsen Resort’s Blog
5 Popular Complimentary Activities at Lutsen Resort
Ahh, Complimentary Activities. Here at Lutsen Resort, we are committed to getting our guests outside to play. For many guests, the complimentary activities are the most memorable part of their stay. The purpose of this blog is to outline some of our most popular activities as well as provide some insider tips on ways to enjoy them.
“The best part was the activities. My husband and I did paddleboarding and hiking. We learned a lot and had fun doing it!” – Katie N.
What do we mean by complimentary activities? Let’s start by defining that better. Complimentary – meaning included in your stay. Activities –in this case means recreational adventures. In essence, we’re talking about free adventures.
PSA: I want to start this blog with an important reminder. This time of the year is busy and the resort has many guests in house. We do have 8 guides taking guests on more than 10 tours a day but sign-ups can fill up quickly. Here’s the key – sign up for tours begins at 8 am one week prior to the day of the activity. Log on to the website promptly at 8 am and get signed up! Have a few ideas in mind in case the one you want gets filled right away. Also, try to be considerate of others. If you’re bringing a large family – maybe try to sign up for only 2 or 3 of the guided activities so other guests can enjoy them too. There are plenty of non-guided activities to enjoy as well.
Now for the 5 most popular activities.
- Sea Kayaking on Lake Superior. There’s really nothing like it. Getting out on the “Big Lake” is an incredible experience. Doing it in a kayak takes it to the next level. You are right on the water. Insider Tip: Bring a phone or camera if you can! Put it in a waterproof case or bag and secure it to your lifejacket. The views of the Sawtooth Mountains are unforgettable.
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding. Have you tried it yet? This trendy watersport is fun and easier than it looks. You *typically* don’t have to get wet if you don’t want to. We also do it on an inland lake which is much easier than on Lake Superior. Insider Tip: Start on your knees! Then you can stand if you feel comfortable.
- Kid’s Camp. Three hours of nature-based exploring fun for kids. What could be better? We have three different themes. Monday’s focus is “Create!” where the kiddos can unleash their creative sides. Wednesdays were made to “Explore!” and discover new places and things. Thursday’s theme is “Challenge” emphasizing team work. Insider Tip: There is also Kid’s Pizza and Movie night on Saturdays from 6-8pm! Perfect for dropping the kids off and enjoying a meal in the dining room.
“As a busy working mom, I loved that Lutsen offers free activities for guests of all ages. [. . .] My kids did yoga, kayaked, and paddle boarded.” – Amy L.
- Fly Fishing Lessons. Have you ever wanted to try fly fishing but didn’t have anyone to teach you? Then this lesson is perfect for you. It’s very introductory and gives you a chance to practice on one of the best fishing rivers on the North Shore: The Poplar River. Insider Tip: Wear sunglasses! They also serve as eye protection.
- Naturalist Programs. Presented by members of the US Forest Service, these are insightful and fun campfire discussions about different nature topics. Topics change every year and this year our topics are Life of a Voyageur and The Amoosing Moose! These programs do not require advance sign up. Insider Tip: Don’t assume this activity is just for kids! Many of the facts and props the naturalist brings are very interesting for adults as well.
These are our top 5 activities and we have many more! From yoga to cross country skiing to winery tours, there are tons of wonderful things to do year-round at Lutsen Resort. See the full calendar of activities, updated through August, here.
Any questions? Don’t hesitate to reach out! Our activities staff is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about what they do. They can be reached from 8am-5pm at 218-663-6695.